Screencastify is a notable Chrome extension screen recorder which is able to capture browser tab and desktop movements with audio signals. What’s more, it’s compatible with Linux, Windows, Mac and Chromebook platforms, which means that you are free to record onscreen activities as long as you’re accessible to Chrome browser. Thanks to the convenient operation and high compatibility, it is mostly used by teachers to create tutorials for presentations, record online course or by students to capture onscreen activities happening in browser or desktop. As this software doesn’t require any additional software installation for processing, it can be directly used with Chromebooks. In the following part, we will summarize the features of Screencastify and guide you how to use Screencastify.
Key features of Screencastify:
1. It comes with three recording modes: Browser Tab, Desktop, and Webcam Only. You can choose the suitable one according to your actual needs.
2. Competent for how-to tutorial recording, browser tap activities capture and desktop onscreen recording as Webm format or you can export files as MP4, GIF, Audio only.
3. Screencastify supports real-time drawing tool that is essential for interactive lectures or productive videos.
4. It offers a free version with no watermark and useful editing tool.
5. Able to automatically save videos in Google Drive and it supports instant sharing to Google Classroom, YouTube by unique links.
You need to follow these steps to access Screencastify for your screen recording needs.
Step 1: Open Chrome Store and add Screencastify to your Chrome extensions.
Step 2: Open this software and sign up with your Google account. You need to set permissions of camera, microphone, drawing and annotation tools.
Step 3: Choose one recording mode as your preference among Browser Tab, Desktop and Webcam Only. Here we want to make an explicit explanation about these settings.
● To capture your voiceover, toggle on the button next to Microphone.
● To capture your face, you can employ Webcam Only or turn on the toggle next to Embed Webcam.
Click on Show more options to choose additional settings for your recording.
● Disable Countdown or change the default choice among 3, 5, and 10 seconds.
● To use Drawing and annotation tools, you need to check Show Drawing Tools. (The option is only available in Browser Tab and Desktop recordings).
● To capture audio from a browser tap like YouTube video, you can enable the Tab Audio (This option is only available in Browser Tab recordings).
● To capture audio from an application on your desktop like PowerPoint, you are suggested to turn on System Audio (This is only available on Windows computer)
Step 4: Start recording by clicking the Record menu. During the recording, you can use the real-time drawing tool including mouse pointer, pen, eraser to release your creativity.
Step 5: When everything is recorded, click Stop and you will directly move to Video Page where you can edit, trim and share video with a link.
Shortcomings of Screencastify:
Free version: It is free to use with 5 minute recording limit and allows you to export video as MP4, Webm, GIF and MP3. It’s a good screen recorder for green hand without longer recording length demand.
Single user: You have to pay $ 49 per person per year to access this version of screen recording. In this version, you are permitted to record with unlimited recording length, merge videos and recorder clips, crop your recording, add text over clips and get priority support.
Educational organization: For teachers with education purpose, you can purchase the full version with $29. If you want to run a lab with this software tool in your organization, you can contact company officials to get the best value.
Screencastify is a handy screen recording solution without installation to local drive. But the limited features and unstable compatibility may hinder your smooth recording process. Moreover, you are only given one-year license for any full version which means that you need to pay annually. Allowing for better experience and budget-saving, you’re suggested to try an alternative of Screencastify. Here we recommend RecMaster as the best alternative of Screencastify for reasons as below.
Firstly, RecMaster offers one-pay-lifetime-use policy which allows you to use for lifetime with instant after-sale support and scheduled renewal. Once you purchase the lifetime license, you can run this software on your computer as long as you like.
Secondly, it’s a versatile and stable tool to handle different recording problems including tutorial, training, gameplay. Whether you want to capture desktop, application windows or the browser tap, RecMaster always meets your goal and allows you to record screen with audio and facecam. No matter what you want to capture, RecMaster always comes with the easiest solution.
Thirdly, it gives you more rights to customize recording. Quality, frame rate, format, watermark, storage path and audio source are all depended by your decision. All in all, RecMaster is really an excellent screen recorder deserving your trust. You can start by downloading the trial version to try.
To record videos with RecMaster, you just need to follow the steps below: Open the software and choose one recording mode>> Set configurations including format, quality, audio source and more>>Start and stop>>Edit the recorded video and then share to YouTube with one-click upload.
Key features of RecMaster:
With this Screencastify review, how to use screencastify isn’t a problem for you anymore. If you’re wondering to choose a screen recorder, RecMaster is superior to Screencastify not only in budget but also in comprehensiveness.
RecMaster – Record Every Moment on Your Computer Screen
Record 1080p or even 4K clips at 60fps to maintain the high quality still.
Flexible settings for mouse cursor effects, watermark and annotations.
Preloaded with recording scheduler, video editor. Allow one-click sharing.