Screen capturing video on Windows 10, you don’t have to be a computing geek.
Just two months later after the “death” of Windows 7, the new-standard Windows 10 hit its one-billion-user milestone, dominating the desktop operation system by owning over 50% market share. Are you one of the contributors who have just switched up to Windows 10 in the last months? Or you are an avid Windows 10 user and only come across some screen video capture requirements recently, be it a common desktop capture, an online streaming capture, or a webcam capture.
Whatever the case is, you’ve come to the right place, because from this post, you will find both the detailed guide on how to screen capture video on Windows 10 and the tricks on how to select an appropriately screen recording application for yourself.
Generally, nearly all recent operation systems and mainstream communication apps are built in with screen capture related capability. So does Windows 10 from Microsoft. Without any download, Windows 10 users are empowered to create screenshots with its system attachment Snip & Sketch and make game or app screencasts with internal Game Bar tool.
Step 1 – Get your target content ready for recording, such as a video game, an office file, an communication APP etc.
Step 2 – After that, call for this born-with-system Game bar. It is easy to access and handle. By simply pressing Win + Alt + R on the keyboard, you can straightforward start the screen recording mission immediately. To turn on or off the microphone, “Win + Alt + M” is the shortcut to go.
Step 3 – When the gameplay or presentation is over, type “Win + Alt + R” again to stop the capture process.
☞ Where to do settings for Game bar capture?
If you want to customize what audio to take alongside, press Win + G to pop up the floating interface to do so. What’s more, you can also navigate to the system Settings -> Gaming -> Game bar or Capture section to do more changes for shortcuts, capture quality, frame rate, video length (4 hours at most), audio volume and similar.
☞ Limitation of Game Bar
Game bar is convenient for one-click video screen capture on Windows 10. But it lacks some basic while crucial features like full screen recording, selecting recording range, file explorer/Weather/Maps capture, and recording screen with webcam simultaneously. So for users who have such requirements or desire for more a more versatile recorder, it’s a wise choice to find some Game bar alternatives.
To do a good job, an artisan needs the best tools. And to make a high quality screencast on Windows 10, a quality screen recorder is a must-have. To make any Windows 10 user a skilled screencast producer, a piece of handy screen recording software is just enough. Thus, you can instantly start the screen video capture without taking any course or watching any online tutorial in advance. Now let’s get together to see how to take screencast with standalone recorder software.
STEP 1 – Choose a Screen Recorder
Check out some key factors that many affect your final software choosing. If you have all the things in mind or are tired of these theory stuffs, you can directly move on the next step, where full-fledged screen video capture software is taken as demonstration.
● Before picking the most suitable tool out, the first priority you should take into consideration is the system compatibility. That’s because there are many decent free or open source screen recorders for Windows, while some of which haven’t been updated for a long time. So in case you may get recording problem with them on Win10, you are suggested to leave those officially claimed Windows 10 unfriendly utilities out.
● Then it comes to the recording capability. Modern screencasting applications embrace well on recording screen region at will. And the difference lies in the preloaded recording modes or profiles, for instance full screen/window/custom area recording options, the ability to mix Webcam/system sound/microphone, ready-made mainstream sizes or formats for PC or mobile playback (e.g. 1920 * 1080 MP4), and the ability to remember last history recorded area.
● The third and also last thing goes to the advanced settings and tools. It matters a lot if you are willing to decide the video capture quality and obtain an eye-catching footage with more effects like picture-in-picture frame, annotated highlights or explanations, mouse cursor movement with click sound, self-style watermark. Some screen recorders give users the power to decorate video before or during recording while some embed these kinds of things in its bundled editor.
For beginners: Set aside video length, there are several main parameters that have influence on video quality: video resolution, bit rate, and frame rate. Yes, it means as long as the software has such settings, you can adjust the capture quality in a breeze. Container format or encoding codec are not big deals unless you have specific need of them.
Here EZvid, RecMaster and Camtasia are our top recommendations for users of different demands. EZvid is a totally free tool for outputting 45 video recording with no watermark. RecMaster is a simple yet versatile program for newbies. And Camtasia is a one-stop premium screen recording and editing bet which is designed for advanced users to achieve fascinating video effects. Considering most of the post guests are general public, we will take RecMaster as the demo product.
STEP 2 – Get Ready for Your Capture
Free download screencasting software like RecMaster onto your Windows 10 and finish the installation.
Then brace yourself for the upcoming capture. For plain (live) streaming or game capture, do open the web, app or game to standby. For desktop how-to video, test the how-to workflow roughly just in case some unexpected error happens during the capture. For more complicated and professional-looking vlog videos, you’d better plan your content structure in detail or narration material beforehand so that you can complete the casting at one time.
STEP 3 – Start Windows 10 Video Screen Capture
Here we go. When the preparation is done, you can launch RecMaster and choose a proper recording mode to go ahead:
● Game Mode is developed for smoother (DirectX) game capture while having less effect on the gaming performance.
● Full Screen, as the name hints, is responsible for grabbing the whole desktop, internal system sound and microphone included. You are also free to display webcam for picture-in-picture visual effect.
● Custom Area is able to select any region as the capture goal, be it an app, a rectangle or square section, a browser/tab, or any other sizes. RecMaster delivers four mainstream sizes for you to choose directly: standard 1080p and 720p at 16:9 for PC playback and two mobile-friendly sizes at 9:16 aspect ratio. Also, RecMaster remembers all history and custom sizes for easier future capture.
● Webcam is capable of recognizing any integrated or external front camera sources and gives you the right to film any one at 1080p, 720p or lower resolution with audio.
● Audio Only is an extra capture mode which allows users to save the audio coming from computer alone.
Many other pre-settings associated with format, quality, frame rate, and audio volume are all available to alter on the main window. For more cursor or watermark effects, please open Settings control.
After settings, please rush out and hit REC button or press the hotkeys Alt + 1 to start the capture. During the process, real-time annotations are easy to realize.
STEP 4 – Stop and Polish the Screencast
When your capture is finished, click the red button or utilize the hotkeys Alt + 2 to stop the recording. A recording list panel will show up where you can play, edit, delete and upload it to YouTube right away. Common screen recorders are not so good at high-standard editing, so the post-production is badly needed, you can try some free but professional video editor like VSDC and OpenShot at the very beginning.
RecMaster – Record Every Moment on Your Computer Screen
Record 1080p or even 4K clips at 60fps to maintain the high quality still.
Flexible settings for mouse cursor effects, watermark and annotations.
Preloaded with recording scheduler, video editor. Allow one-click sharing.