MacOS has several notable built-in tools that allow you to record video from camera. iMovie, QuickTime and Photo Booth are three bundled solutions offered by Apple company. They are all incredibly easy to use – simply open them up and hit the red Record button to launch recording. Apple’s native tools are great, but they’re not the only options for you.
If you need to create webcam videos with flexibility and high quality, you still need professional application. Therefore, we also recommend a robust third-party screen recorder as the best bet for you. Now let’s begin reading this post to know how to record webcam on Mac.
1. Capture video in Photo Booth
Photo Booth is not only a good way to take selfies but also a good way to record small videos. What’s more, you can apply different effects to get distinguishable videos. Here is how.
1) Open the Photo Booth program by clicking its icon in the Mac Dock or directly finding it in the Applications folder.
2) In the lower-left corner of the screen, choose the option – Record a movie clip to be ready for webcam capture.
3) You’ll see your face displayed on the computer screen. Click the red Record button to get started! During the recording process, all your facial emotions and gestures can be recorded. When you want to end, press the red icon again.
After recording, you can share the file to your family and friends.
2. Record webcam video in iMovie
iMovie might be the most popular webcam video recorder and editing tool for beginners. You can use the built-in camera or any connected external one to capture webcam video with iMovie. Below is the workflow
1) Launch the iMovie app on your Mac. If you find there is no related solution on your computer, you can download it from your Apple store.
2) Go to the iMovie menu bar and selecting File> New Movie or in the iMovie projects screen choosing Create New option to enter the webcam recording interface.
3) Go to the Cameras section in the left panel and you can use the FaceTime HD Camera. (Note that if it’s the first time for you to use FaceTime camera, you’ll be promoted to grant the access to Mac’s microphone and camera.
4) You can press the red button to begin and end recording. Save the recording files in the Projects and you can also play and edit the recorded videos.
3. Record webcam video with Quicktime
As the default media player as well as screen recorder for Mac computer, QuickTime player is competent for Mac screen recording. It offers three recording solutions: New Movie Recording, New Audio Recording and New Screen Recording. However, the most famous problem of Quicktime is unable to capture internal audio during recording. If you want to record video with sound by using Quicktime, you need to preinstall sound extension like Soundflower on your computer. Let’s see how it works to capture webcam video using QuickTime.
1) Launch QuickTime player on your computer and move to File section.
2) Select New Movie Recording. Then you need to enable the Float on Top option so that the camera window will be on the top of any application on your computer.
3) After that, hit the Record button to start recording and when you want to terminate the recording, press the red icon again.
It can be summarized that the former three ways are available to record webcam videos like narration videos. But in most cases we also need to capture screen with webcam on Mac computer such as software demo videos, online courses and YouTube videos. Besides, RecMaster is also competent for screen recording with webcam on your Mac. Now let’s see how it works:
Professional and flexible screen recorder to record webcam video on mac
As a facecam and screen recorder for Mac, RecMaster provides versatile webcam recording solutions for users. You can simply capture video from webcam or screencast screen with camera to create picture-in-picture effect. Besides, RecMaster loads flexible settings and multiple features like mouse cursor, built-in tool, auto-split and one-click upload to make your recording process smoothly. Let’s see how it works:
1) Download and install the package software on your Mac computer.
2) Choose one recording mode. There are three video recording options for you: Full screen, Custom area and Webcam. Select one for the latter recording.
3) Configure recording settings. RecMaster support personalized recording and this is the most distinguishable feature compared to the default choice. Video format, quality, frame rate, audio source and storage path can all be decided based on your actual needs.
4) Press Command + 1 to begin recording or tab REC button. For tutorial videos, you can leverage the annotation and whiteboard to write down explanations or notes.
5) What if you record unwanted clips in your video recording? No need to re-record again since you can utilize the in-built editor to cut out any unnecessary clips. After the recording, upload file to YouTube, Google Drive and other platform with ease.
There are four ways to record webcam on Mac and most of them are in-built ways. If you prefer a high quality screen recorder, we still suggest RecMaster to you.
RecMaster – Record Every Moment on Your Computer Screen
Record 1080p or even 4K clips at 60fps to maintain the high quality still.
Flexible settings for mouse cursor effects, watermark and annotations.
Preloaded with recording scheduler, video editor. Allow one-click sharing.